blog

resources

read alouds

Implementing Literature Circles & Day 6!!

I have been toying with the idea to introduce Literature Circles all year long and doing a lot of reading about its benefits. I've read articles, pulled out the college books and purchased groups of books to get me going. I decided last week to just dive in and give it a shot. I was scared. I took it slow... and crossed my fingers that we didn't crash and burn. 


I introduced my kids to the way it works and told them this is something new that I think they'd really enjoy (they do). They said they were game and so we went with it! This post will be breaking down how I introduced literature circles to my students. If I told you everything I've done so far... we'd be here for years! I will post a little bit each day so we aren't all overwhelmed!

 Here are the books my students chose from:



Each group has 5 students in it and one group has 6. I have 26 kids (yep.. a lot - but, I couldn't imagine having any less)!

After students picked their books they read a chapter or 2 together just to practice and decide on how they would like to read. I really am taking this process slow.
 I am having them read the book at the exact same time so we are always on the same page.


After students read their book for the first time I just had them talk about it. Yep, that's it - just talk!!

I would go onto more... but, it would be a LOAD of information! So, I will be back tomorrow and tell you about how I introduced their first job to them using a read aloud!

Now, you can grab a literature circle freebie below by entering our Day 6 giveaway!!



2 comments

  1. I have been wanting to jump into this too! I am excited to read along on how you do it for some inspiration...and courage! lol.. thanks for the freebie too! You saved me time on not having to make these! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've thought about lit circles for my higher-level kids but have not known where to start. I look forward to reading more posts about how you implement lit circles in your classroom!

    Paige
    Paiges of Learning

    ReplyDelete