blog

resources

read alouds

Learning to Talk about the Text - Part 2!

Yesterday, I stopped by the introduce a little 3-2-1 Notes idea that encourages students to *think* and *talk* about non-fiction text. Up to this point in the year, we've dabbled in non-fiction, but haven't dove in full force. When I introduced the 3-2-1 Notes to the students, we read a Scholastic News altogether and filled it out as a class. Basically, I modeled how to do it and discuss the text. 



Today, I passed out a Time for Kids magazine. We discussed it before reading, read it together, talked about new learning, asked questions and talked about pictures we could draw that connected to our topic. After we *talked* together, the students got with their reading buddy. They were given a 3-2-1 Notes recording form, asked to re-read the text and *talk* about it with their partner.



I wrote down their directions (in a very simple way) to remind them of what they were to do with their partner.

1. Read
2. Talk
3. Write


Here, the students are reading the magazine together before they discuss the text.


After the kids read the text, I asked them to talk about their 3-2-1 Notes BEFORE they wrote anything down. My teammate (who came up with this awesome idea), told me about using 3-2-1 fingers as kids talk through each part of the text. We learned how to do that and practiced it.



After the kids discussed each part, they were able to fill out their paper. My teammate gave me a paper she created that I used. I created one to share with you on here as well! Just click below to grab it for free!


I told the kids that they did not have to fill out the same thing as their partner. I wanted THEIR thoughts on their paper. I always like to say, "I want to know what's in your brain!" It helps a lot with the wondering eyes throughout the day! ;-)


After the students filled out their own 3-2-1 Notes paper, they brought it to the rug and we discussed it. What I noticed was, we had trouble finding the important information in the text.
So, for our closing lesson, we talked about staying on topic.

Before we filled out our class chart, we identified the topic of the Time for Kids magazine.
Then, I just started asking students to share things they learned. I got a lot of, "the boy was 11. - he has a sister...)... clearly, that's not important information and it doesn't really support out topic. We talked about how we want to make sure our information matches our topic. We shared some more and found some on topic responses. After each one we identified which part of the topic the new learning connected to - hence the arrows! ;)

Before, I asked for students to share their questions, we talked about how we want our questions to also be on topic. Students shared on topic questions. Then, we asked for some off topic questions, so we could learn from it! I love first grade - they're so open to sharing! Once we wrote our questions, we also noticed that we could answer one of them by looking at the header on one of the pages! So, we wrote the answer.


To end our 3-2-1 Notes - we talked about how we need to also stay on topic when we are drawing a picture of our learning (clearly I am bad at keeping to the 1 picture thing). The students shared their drawing, and I asked two students to add their pictures to our chart. We noticed the detail in the pictures of the kids, and talked about how it supported our topic!

The 3-2-1 Notes chart is something I will continue to use. It's such a simple & genius idea! Ugh, I love it!! We had such meaningful discussions about the text this week and have already deepened our understanding of non-fiction text. I can't wait to see what other discussions arise from this tool! 

I hope you find it helpful too!






No comments