blog

resources

read alouds

Scavenger Hunts with WORDS!

Good afternoon! This is my favorite part of the year in first grade. The kids are reading, they're demonstrating everything they've learned and the classroom is basically running itself. This is the time of year when I am also very TIRED! I don't really have time to be laminating station cards each week or cutting them. So, I like to pull out my Scavenger Hunt with Words to keep the kids engaged.


When I first introduce this activity, I have the kids do it with me whole group. I display the spinner, I spin it and together, we search for words that fit the rule.

The best part is that I don't have to prep any station cards ahead of time. The kids simply use the words in the room. They may also look inside of books if they can't find words in the room. This activity keeps them busy!... Which I love! They're active, engaged and on task!



Another great thing about this activity is that YOU can edit the spinner to make it fit what you are focusing on in your own classroom. If you want to focus on words that start with a letter, digraph or blend, you can type it into your own spinner.

If you are interested in doing this activity with you class you can click here!



No comments